About Us

History

Sime Darby can trace its roots to as early as the 19th Century, when pioneering English planters established rubber plantations in Malaya. Among those pioneers were Alexander Guthrie, Daniel & Smith Harrison, Joseph Crosfield, Willliam Sime and Henry d'Esterre & Herbert Mitford Darby - founders of three great companies that today make up Sime Darby Berhad.
Our history is closely linked to the progress of the world's economy and we are proud of our role in bringing development and growth to many parts of the world. Today, we are working hard to ensure that the progress we have achieved, can continue to be enjoyed for generations to come and that is why at Sime Darby, we believe in Developing Sustainable Futures.
  • select
1821
Alexander Guthrie established Guthrie & Co in Singapore as one of the first British trading houses in South East Asia.
1844
Daniel and Smith Harrison and Joseph Crosfield formed a tea and coffee trading partnership called Harrisons &
Crosfield in Liverpool, England.
1860
Harrisons & Crosfield established as the third largest tea trader with sales of between 2.5 and 2.75million lbs.
1867
Guthrie & Co diversified into the insurance and banking industry and invested in steamship companies.
1895
Established the first eastern branch, Lampard, Crosfield & Co in Colombo, Ceylon (Sri Lanka), marking their entry into the plantation ownership business.
1896
Guthrie & Co accepted agencies for coffee estates in Selangor and Negeri Sembilan which were experimentally planted with rubber.
1903
Guthrie & Co partnered with Scott & Co to form Guthrie and Company Ltd, capitalised at RM1million.
1903
Harrisons & Crosfield Invested in rubber in Malaya via the acquisition of the Pataling Company, which owned an estate in Selangor.
1905
Successful acquisition of Golden Hope Rubber Estate Ltd, located in Klang, along the Langat River, which consisted of 900 acres of rubber, coffee and coconuts.
1907
Opened first Kuala Lumpur office under the name Crosfield, Lampard & Co. Acquired estates in Malacca, Selangor and Perak with a total acreage of 6,673 and entered Sumatra via acquisition of Begerpang estate.
1910
William Middleton Sime, Henry d’Esterre Darby and Herbert Milford Darby founded Sime, Darby & Co in Malacca.
1912
Guthrie becomes agent for estates in Borneo and Sumatra, as well as for insurance companies, banks, motorcycles, motor cars and the Singapore Electric Tramway Company.
1916
Sime, Darby & Co becomes agent and secretary for five rubber plantations with a total of 12,437 acres. Sime, Darby & Co. diversified into timber, preservatives and motor insurance.
1920
Harrisons & Crosfield given exclusive rights to cut and develop timber and to develop the timber industry in Borneo, through the acquisition of the China Borneo Company.
1920
Guthrie & Co acquired property at Mengkibol, Johor that had been planted with Elaeis guinaeensis, the African oil palm. Established the first hydraulic press system at the factory.
1923
Discovery of Linatex, a rubber product resistant to abrasion, tearing and cutting strains from corrosive mixtures, by estate assistant Bernard Wilkinson.
1923
United Sua Betong estates size doubled with the acquisition of Ampar Tenang in Selangor, under Sir John Hay’s leadership.
1924
Guthrie & Co purchased a small property in Kluang, Johor which had been planted with Elaeis guineensis, and named it ‘Elaeis.
1926
Formation of Shaw, Darby and Co, a conglomerate based in London, with profitable interests ranging from the far to middle East and Africa.
1928
Creation of the ‘three sisters’ – Golden Hope, Pataling and London Asiatic through mergers and acquisitions.
1929
Acquired the Sarawak Trading Company and appointed as Caterpillar dealer for Sarawak, Malaysia.
1930
Sime Darby & Co opened first office in Kuala Lumpur, located along the present-day Jalan Tun H.S. Lee (formerly High Street)
1930
Formation of Oil Palms of Malaya Limited.
1936
Sime Darby & Co moved headquarters from Malacca to Singapore.
1941
World War 2:
First bomb in Singapore landed on the roof of 6 Battery Road, the headquarters of Messrs Guthrie and Company.
1942
World War 2:
Sime Darby & Co all operations of branches in Malaya transferred to Singapore due to war.
1945
World War 2:
London headquarters at Great Tower Street is engulfed in flames due to enemy aircraft activity. The rubber trade is under threat due to the creation of synthetic rubber, which led to commercialisation of the oil palm.
1948
Formation of Harrisons & Crosfield Latex Ltd in Malaya. Processing of latex began in the Pataling factory. Diversified into oil palm.
1955
Creation of Harrisons & Crosfield’s Palm Oil Research Station in Klanang Bahru estate, Banting by research officer Brian Gray.
1959
Acquisition of Carey Island with 18,000 acres of rubber, coconut and tea, and 10,000 acres of reserve land suitable for the cultivation of oil palm.
1960
Incorporation of Kumpulan Guthrie Sdn Bhd to serve as the local agent for Guthrie Estates Agency Ltd to manage the vast holdings. Diversified into oil palm.
1964
Sime Darby began exploring the new oil palm crop on the Merlimau Pegoh and Tali Ayer estates.
1965
Guthrie Corporation Limited (GCL) listed on the London Stock Exchange.
1965
Incorporation of Tractors Malaysia Limited in Singapore.
1967
Joint venture with the Australian Government for entry into the virtually uninhabited Papua New Guinea.
1972
Wrested control of Seafield Amalgamated Estates from overseas shareholders, increasing landholdings to 200,000 acres. Formed a joint trading company with PNB: Pernas-Sime Darby.
Tractors relocated to Malaysia.
1976
Departure of foreign directors from Sime, Darby and Co gave the Group its first Asian management under Tun Tan Siew Sin as Chairman.
1977
GCL transferred plantation interests from UK subsidiaries to Malaysian incorporated companies. Expanded into the Philippines, China and Africa.
1977
Amalgamation of the ‘three sisters’ – Golden Hope, Pataling and London Asiatic, resulting in Harrisons Malaysian Estates Ltd owning a total land bank of 179,000 acres, planted with rubber, oil palm and coconut.
1978
Sime Darby Berhad incorporated in Malaysia and set up its head office in Jalan Conlay, Kuala Lumpur.
1979
Acquired the remaining shares in China Engineers, making it a wholly owned subsidiary. Incorporation of Consolidated Plantations Berhad which became the Group’s principal vehicle for further expansion in plantations.
1980
Sime Darby Berhad commenced trading on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange.
1981
Tractors Singapore Limited was appointed sole distributor for Land Rover and Range Rover vehicles and parts in Singapore.
1981
The Dawn Raid: PNB, through Rowe & Pitman and Khalid Ibrahim, gained control of GCL through the implementation of a dawn raid on GCL shares, bringing GCL under Malaysian control.
1982
Harrisons Plantations Berhad, a joint venture between PNB and Harrisons & Crosfield is formed to acquire plantation interests of Harrisons Malaysian Estates Ltd.
1982
GCL’s plantation interests came home to Malaysia. Plantation assets in Malaysia and overseas together with the marketing and distribution network companies in the UK and the US were transferred to Kumpulan Guthrie Sdn Bhd.
1982
Pernas Sime Darby acquired the Hertz Rent-A-Car franchise for Malaysia and Brunei.
1984
Kumpulan Guthrie acquired the entire issued share capital of Uniroyal Malaysian Plantation Sdn Bhd.
1985
Acquisition of a large stake in United Estates Projects Bhd, to build the Subang Jaya township.

Sime Darby Berhad moved to new headquarters at Wisma
Sime Darby.
1985
Kumpulan Guthrie entered into an agreement with Kuala Lumpur Kepong to purchase 26.23% of its holdings in Highlands & Lowlands Berhad.
1986
Harrisons & Crosfield ventured into the food sector via the acquisition of Kapar Coconut Industries Sdn Bhd.
1987
Auto Bavaria Sdn Bhd, a member of the Pernas Sime Darby Group was appointed authorised sole importer and distributor of BMW products in Malaysia.
1989
Kumpulan Guthrie Berhad listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange.
1990
Guthrie Property Development Holding Sdn Bhd is established.
1990
Harrisons Malaysian Estates Ltd changed its name to that of its oldest constituent estate, Golden Hope Plantations Berhad, to reflect the Malaysianised entity.
1991
The first Malaysian assembled BMW 730iL rolled out of the Associated Motor Industries plant, making Auto Bavaria the first BMW importer to assemble the vehicle outside Germany.
1992
Sime Darby acquired Hastings Deering’s Caterpillar dealership for Queensland, Northern Territory, Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands.
1994
The Guthrie Group strategically diversified its core business into plantations, property development, manufacturing and services. The Group commenced its property development activity in Bukit Jelutong.
1995
The Group entered Indonesia via a joint venture agreement with Pecconina Baru to form PT Guthrie Pecconina Indonesia. The company is to develop palm oil plantations in Palembang, South Sumatera.
1997
Acquired 100% equity of Solarvest Sdn Bhd which owns and manages the Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club in Bukit Kiara.
1998
The Guthrie Pavilion, located in Bukit Jelutong, is completed.
2000
Sime Darby and Tesco signed an agreement to set up a chain of hypermarkets in Malaysia, with Sime Darby taking up 30% share.
2000
2000
Golden Hope Plantations Berhad made its debut into the pink guava puree manufacturing industry via a new plantation in the Sungei Wangi estate.
2000
The Group is awarded the Guthrie Corridor Expressway, a 33-year concession highway project.
2001
Guthrie signed an agreement to issue USD395m worth of Islamic bonds, the first US dollar denominated international Islamic bonds traded on the Labuan Financial Exchange, to refinance its Indonesian acquisitions
2003
BMW Malaysia Sdn Bhd, a joint venture between the BMW Group and Auto Bavaria Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tractors Malaysia Holdings Berhad is formed.
2003
Rationalisation: Golden Hope disposed of its property development interests, except for Negara Properties Berhad.
2004
Guthrie became the first plantation company in the world to be granted EUREGAP (European Retailers and Producers Good Agriculture Practices) certification for plantation management.
2006
Sime Darby consolidated all plantations activities and operations under Sime Darby Plantations Sdn Bhd, to reduce duplication of activities and enhance synergies.
2006
Plans to merge Sime Darby, Guthrie and Golden Hope announced.
2007
The newly joined Sime Darby, Guthrie and Golden Hope re-entered the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange under the name of Sime Darby with a market capitalisation of RM59.5 billion – nearly 80% more than its original RM31.6 billion at the start of the merger process.
2008
Sime Darby brings together its healthcare businesses, namely the Subang Jaya Medical Centre Megah Medical Specialists Group Megah and the SJMC Academy of Nursing and Health Sciences under one united division.
2008
Sime Darby Expands into Transportation and Installation (T&I) Services for the Oil & Gas Sector via joint venture company, Sime Darby T&I Sdn Bhd.
2008
Sime Darby Plantation awarded its first RSPO certification.
2009
Sime Darby Plantation Sdn Bhd launched its Mangrove Research Centre (MRC) which is the first centre for mangrove research in Malaysia. MRC is a platform for research on the mangrove ecosystem and coastal zone management.
2009
Announced discovery in Oil Palm Genome after Sime Darby scientists successfully deciphered the genetics of the oil palm, making it the world’s first company to achieve this scientific breakthrough.
2009
Made inroads into the African Continent via Sime Darby Plantation Sdn Bhd, following the execution of an Amended and Restated Concession Agreement (CA) with the Government of the Republic of Liberia.
2010
Launched the Sime Darby Innovation Centre Europe (ICE) in Zwijndrecht, the Netherlands, a state-of-the-art facilities for testing prototype oil formulations in food applications and producing at pilot scale.
2011
Sime Darby Plantation planted its first palm seedling in Liberia, marking the commencement of large-scale plantation activities in the African republic. Concurrently launched the Sime Darby Plantation Matambo Estate, the first Sime Darby estate in Liberia.
2012
A Malaysian consortium comprising Sime Darby Berhad, S P Setia Berhad and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) acquired London’s iconic Battersea Power Station via their joint-venture company, Battersea Project Holding Company Limited (BPHCL). BPHCL plans to implement a master development plan for the site, drawn up by award-winning architect Rafael Viñoly.
2012
Launch of Sime Darby Plantation's Central Housing Complex (CHC) at Tennamaram Estate in Bestari Jaya. The CHC is developed based on a better community-living model, in line with the company's aim to enhance the living standards of its plantation employees.
2013
Sime Darby Berhad and Ramsay Health Care Limited entered into a joint venture to expand their healthcare businesses. The new company (Ramsay Sime Darby Health Care) is equally owned by Ramsay and Sime Darby.
2013
Sime Darby Motors, the automotive arm of Sime Darby Berhad, signed agreements to clinch its first BMW dealership in Australia, making its entry into the luxury market in Australia.
2014
Sime Darby commits to the Sustainable Palm Oil Manifesto, which sets higher standards for growers, traders, end users, and other stakeholders in the industry.
2014
Sime Darby wins the 2014 Global Aon Hewitt Top Companies for Leaders, making it the first Malaysian and Southeast Asian company to be included in the global list since it commenced in 2001.
2015
Sime Darby Plantation completed the acquisition of New Britain Palm Oil Limited (NBPOL), which adds another 135,000 hectares of land in Papua New Guinea, bringing SDP’s total land bank to almost one million hectares.
2016
Sime Darby Plantation commenced first large scale planting of Genome Select high yielding oil palms, that will allow the company to produce more oil with existing land.
View Sitemap