Education is close to our hearts. From providing scholarships via our Foundation to providing assistance to various educational programmes in the communities where we operate, we continue to assist our communities where we can to improve their access to education.
We have several running projects in regards to education, run by our various Divisions:
- Yayasan Sime Darby Malaysian Scholarship Programme Over the last 35 years, more than 3,000 students have benefited from Yayasan Sime Darby’s scholarships. In 2016, YSD offered 426 scholarships and bursaries in various disciplines for Malaysians and other nationals in areas where Sime Darby operates in.
- Sime Darby Industrial Academy Sime Darby Industrial Academy is a training centre by Sime Darby Industrial Sdn. Bhd. The centre provides technical and vocational education and training (TVET) in the areas of motor vehicles, heavy equipment, equipment operation and maintenance, amongst others. All programmes are in compliance or accredited by the National Occupational Skills Standard (NOSS), the Skills Development Department, Ministry of Human Resources Malaysia (JPK) and Construction Industry Development Board. Sime Darby Industrial Academy offers secondary school leavers the opportunity to pursue tertiary education in technical and vocational education and training (TVET) under its Heavy Equipment Skills Certification Programme, a two year course where trainees are required to complete all Level I, Level II and Level III certification exams.
- Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare College Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare College is one of the pioneers in healthcare education in Malaysia. The College was established in 1995 and is registered as an institution of higher education with the Ministry of Education, Malaysia. It is the subsidiary of Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare.
- Dream Classroom in North Huanggu Village, China In the village of North Huanggu in Linqu county, Sime Darby Logistics funds the construction and running of a school for village children. Dubbed the “Dream” Classroom, the project was in collaboration with the Yuandu Volunteer Public Service Center. The school mainly focuses on the education of the children who remained in the village.
- Tuition Programme For Employee Children in Inokom In the Inokom Plant in Kulim, Kedah, Malaysia, we launched a tuition programme for our employees children and those from the community sitting for their Year 6 examinations. The programme aims to give local children additional support in preparation for their exams.
Our efforts range from providing financial assistance to developing learning centres as well as organising short term educational CSR programmes.